Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shimpo RK-2 Rebuild

I've been sitting on these pictures for awhile, so I figured I'd start this ere' blog to put them in a safe place.  Many thanks to Eric for the wheel (Yuengling for potter's wheel - bartering at it's finest), to Nick at Lake Erie Toolworks for all his know how and tools, and Dave for...well, whatever he did.


The condition of the wheel when I received it:
Angle grinder with wire brush attachment




Internal parts after sandblasting and re-painting
Shiny new bearings!  Upgraded to sealed bearings from shielded

Finished wheel with new cord and new exterior bolts
                                     
 


Homemade 2-piece wooden splashpan



I hope to add some more pictures of the tiny little home studio I carved out of the basement, and maybe eventually some of finished work.  Stay tuned!



~Andy

5 comments:

  1. What were the specs on those bearings? Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered them from www.vxb.com.

    Here are the 3 different sizes:

    Kit9705 6204-2NSE Nachi Bearing 20x47x14:Sealed:C3:Japan
    Kit9706 6205-2NSE Nachi Bearing 25x52x15:Sealed:C3:Japan
    Kit9703 6202-2NSE Nachi Bearing 15x35x11:Sealed:C3:Japan

    Hope this helps. You fixin' up a wheel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you are still out there! this is very helpful info on the bearing sizes and a source to purchase them from. was wondering if you might remember how many of each type of bearing is required. also, which bearing size fits which location inside the wheel. thanks in advance.

      Delete
    2. Glad you found some useful info! As to the bearings - I believe there were two of each size. I am sorry to say that I don't remember which ones went where - though I think it would be fairly obvious if you were replacing all 6.

      Good luck! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

      Delete
  3. Were those beatings for the motor or the wheel head?

    ReplyDelete